Monday, December 3, 2007

The Substitute


Remember when you were in school and you walked into class and discovered you had a substitute? Remember the things you would try to get away with? Well, today those days came back to haunt me because today I was the substitute. Another way for me to get out into the community and to help us out financially right now is to substitute teach in the Cupeper County School System. So, today I got my first call...freshmen learning disabled English. It definitely was a challenge to work with the few who had disabilites, but most were just lazy and didn't want to do any work. The High School schedule is divided into 4, 1and1/2 hr. blocks. One of those blocks was a teacher planning period with no class. As I sat in one of the teacher's lounges with all that time on my hands I pulled out my Bible and began to read. Needless to say, I got some pretty strange looks, but everyone was friendly. During lunch I went into the lounge where there were seven teachers eating lunch around a table. I pulled up a chair and made small talk. They were friendly, for the most part, but by their conversations none of them seemed to be Christ-followers. Someone has said to me, "Why start another church when there are already so many?" Well, just go to the nearest school...sit in a class...sit in a teacher's lounge...then you'll understand why we need another church. There's a lot of friendly people here, but friendly people can still miss heaven and end up in hell. Pray for us as we try to make it hard to go to hell from Culpeper. Help us financially. We need your support!

Duane

No comments: