Thursday, November 29, 2007

Puttin' Up The Christmas Lights


It's that time again. Time to drag out the Christmas lights. This is my job. Mechelle decorates the inside of the house. I do the outside. The lights we brought from Florida fit that house perfectly. My challenge this year is to figure out how to put up the lights on a new house. My friend and boss from Sears, John, let me borrow his extention ladder. I've never had to put lights on a two story house. Well, the challenge was met and the house looks pretty good...if I do say so myself.


This reminds me of something I read this morning in Luke 11. One of the challenges of being a Christ-follower is being authentic...being real and honest about our struggles. The opposite of authenticity is hypocrisy. That's one of the things that Jesus challenged the Pharisees about...their hypocrisy. They looked pretty good on the outside, but on the inside Jesus said they were like a graveyard. I'm not saying our house looked bad on the inside...Mechelle's done a great job, but you get my point. Our lives can look pretty good on the outside, just like my house. But on the inside we can have sins, struggles, doubts, secret addictions, that we don't won't anyone else to know about. Oh, we look like we've got it all together, but... Our challenge as Christ-followers is to be real, honest, authentic. The book of James in the New Testament tells us to confess our sins to each other. Now that's being real. People need to see how Christ is helping you with your "stuff". The world is hungry for authenticity. Its had enough of the other.


Duane

No comments: