Tuesday, November 13, 2007

A ride in the country

This morning I went to Substitute Teacher Orientation at the Culpeper County School Board building. I sat in a conference room with about 25 other people who were being taught along with me about the "do's" and "don'ts" of being a good "sub". Now that's some exciting stuff! I met some interesting people, some of which I'm sure I'll see in the halls and classrooms of Culpeper's schools. Some of the people I met were confident, others were nervous and a little unsure of themselves. But everyone is looking to make some income and to help better their financial situation in life. People from all walks of life. Some retired teachers and some who hadn't been out of high school for too many years. But all were looking to better their situation and maybe to make a difference in the classroom also.

This scene reminded me that everyone wants to better their situation financially, but unless Christ betters our situation its all futile...vanity...a chasing after the wind. When Christ forgives us and gives us His life to live through us, then life has meaning and hope.

After sub orientation, Mechelle and I took Bryce to his art class which takes place at a home in Reva which is about 10 miles out in the country. After we dropped him off, we turned right out their driveway and just started to drive to see where the road would take us. The scenery was amazing. Mountains off in the distance...rolling hills and valleys filled with all the colors of autumn leaves...something we missed living in Florida. There is something peaceful about a ride in the country. It turns my thoughts to God and ignites my imagination as to what heaven might be like. I know it will be a place of peace and beauty...maybe just like our ride in the country. So lets take as many people with us, because as I read in Hebrews 8 this morning, "He is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he ever lives to intercede for us."

PRAYER REQUEST: Pray for me as I start a job working at Sears tomorrow. I definitley will be bi-vocational until Mosaic Church gets going and is able to support us. The owner of Sears is a great Christian guy who we met through our homeschool organization. I will also begin substitute teaching by the end of this month.

Pray for Joel. He's trying to get another job working as a police dispatcher for Fairfax County. It's a job that pays really well and will really help out their financial situation. He needs this job...so pray!

Pray for Mechelle as she begins taking on-line classes to become a Medical Transcriptionist. A great job for a home-schooling, stay-at-home mom.

Pray for wisdom on what the next steps are for Mosaic Church.

I want to do, as my dear friend Scott Brown told me recently, "God's thing, God's way." Not "my thing, my way" and not even "God's thing, my way"...but, "God's thing, God's way!"

Making it hard to go to hell from Culpeper!
Duane

2 comments:

cseymour said...

It is very cool to hear what God is doing in your life! It also brings back so many memories when you were talking about Reva...when I was a kid my dad lived in Madison, which isnt too far from Culpeper, and I remember passing by Reva. That whole area is so beautiful! I wish I could visit again sometime. If you get a chance and like hiking you have to climb Old Rag Mountain...absolutely breathtaking!

-Chris Seymour

Duane said...

Thanks for the info on Old Rag Mountain. We'll look it up and check it out sometime. We do love to hike!
Duane