Friday, February 1, 2008

Setting Our Sights


I used to be an avid hunter. During our years living in Michigan I would go deer hunting with several guys from my church. One of my best friends, Bryce, whom our son is named after, taught me a great deal about hunting. Bryce hunted and trapped almost year round. He even travelled out west to hunt big game like Elk. One of the things he taught me was how to set the sight on my gun. Every year before deer season opened we would take our rifles, mount them on stands and set our sights. We would look through the scope, put the cross hairs on the target and fire. After looking at the target to see where we hit it, we would then make adjustments to our scope until the bullet was hitting the bullseye each time we fired. One of my concerns since we came to Culpeper was who was going to be our "target". Who were we going to focus on reaching? Not that we don't want to reach everyone. But every church seems to have a target whether they say it or not. Every church seems to do well at reaching certain age groups or types of people. Every church has a purpose. Who will be our target? As we set our sights the target is getting clearer. God is using people He has put in my life to help bring us into focus on who He wants us to reach. As I have prayed for God to show me and guide me He has begun to bring people in my life who are helping us narrow our focus. One of the real needs it seems in this community is for ministry to 20 somethings. There are lots of churches with great ministries to families and children and older adults, but there's not a lot going on to reach the 20 somethings...young adults who have graduated and are going to college or beginning a career. All of what God has put in our hearts...the vision...the dream for Mosaic seems to be ideal for reaching these young adults. The casual, come as you are atmosphere will do well to attract and reach them with the life-changing truth of the gospel. Pray for us as we continue to seek God's guidance and narrow our focus and set our sights.

Duane

No comments: