Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Road Trip!


A couple of months ago a fellow church planter, Clint Clifton, of Pillar Church in Dumfries, asked me to go to a conference in Atlanta called Evolve. He said it would be free, so, being the intelligent guy that I am, I said "yes". What he didn't tell me was that I'd be travelling with 7 other guys in an RV! I haven't been this close to a group of guys I think since high school. I bet the smells won't be any better either. You know, come to think of it, Jesus travelled around with a group of guys for 3 years. Well, not in a RV, of course. But, nevertheless, he became pretty tight with his disciples. They did life together day in and day out. Imagine that! They ate, drank, walked, slept, laughed, cried, prayed, and played together. These guys hung out with the Creator of the Universe...God in the flesh. It's almost inconceivable that God would care about us so much that He would come and live with us. He emptied Himself and wrapped Himself in flesh and hung out with us...lived life with us. Amazing isn't it that God would care about our mundane day-to-day stuff. But, He does. He proved it by living life with those guys for 3 years. Then in their hour of grief, as His disciples were confused, discouraged, and brokenhearted, Jesus shows up again to walk with them. "Now that same day two of them were going to a village called Emmaus...Jesus himself came up and walked along with them" Luke 24:13,15. He came to walk with them and heal their broken hearts. That's what He wants to do with all of us. But not just to walk with us, but to live in us. You can't get any closer than that! Have you ever thought, "I can't live this Christ-life." Well, that's right, you can't. But He can and will as He lives in and through us. What a trip this is Jesus!

Duane

2 comments:

Todd V said...

Hey, Duane! Sorry I haven't been in touch. I've kept you in my thoughts since receiving your info packet back in August. You're on an adventure and I pray God's blessings as you seek to fulfill His mission for ministry. Nadine and Ben are well. Hi to the family. Come and visit this summer and we'll take you out on the bay.

Duane said...

Todd, my man, great to hear from you. What's your e-mail?