Monday, June 16, 2008

Saving Ourselves


John and I were talking this afternoon about the Culpeper Soapbox Derby which will take place this coming Saturday on Blue Ridge Ave, the street I live on. Our street will be blocked off to traffic with orange cones and hay bails lining the street. We were told the other day by a police officer to park our cars some place else or we wouldn't be able to get out of our driveway after 5am. It's a big deal in our community. It's to be a family event. Fathers and sons, Moms and daughters all building soapbox cars together to compete. One winner from each age group will advance to the Nationals held in Ohio. But the thing that struck me most was one fact about the soapbox race that I wasn't aware of until John told me. He said that each driver runs two races against the same opponent. The first race with their opponent's wheels on their own car and the second race with their own wheels on their own car. I found that quite interesting. Here in this "family fun" event rules had to be made because of those who would try to cheat by doctoring their wheels. I was amazed. I had no idea. It proves once again of the total depravity of mankind. We can't even be honest in an innocent, family fun event like the soapbox derby. Now, I know that not everyone tries to cheat, but given the right circumstances...who knows? It reminds me again that we all need a savior. We can't save ourselves. We can't even keep ourselves from cheating in a kid's race. God brought us here to Culpeper, not because it's a terrible place filled with cheaters. No, he brought us here to tell the people that there is One who can save us... even from ourselves. Jesus.

Duane

1 comment:

anonymous said...

Not to take anything away from your point, but I would like to clarify something there. The reason the kids switch wheels is indeed because of cheating, but that was the rule long before Culpeper had its own derby. Since Culpeper is a qualifier for the nationals in Akron, they have to follow the national rules.