Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Humility On Display

I sat in the living room with a humble man and his wife this past Sunday. We sat and talked about how life was going, as we watched their one year old daughter play with her toys in the living room of their townhouse, where they have retreated each day after another round of radiation that the doctors say are attacking the tumor in his brain. I have considered Joe a friend of mine for several years now, almost from the day we moved here to plant Mosaic. We sat at a table outside of Starbucks the first time I met him and we talked about the vision God had given each of us to plant churches in Culpeper. Joe had already planted The River and now welcomed me and my vision for Mosaic. Since that day, we have partnered together on many occasions to help people in our community. Joe has been one of Mosaic's biggest cheerleaders. I have never sensed one iota of jealousy, competition, or pride in him, but instead, simple, yet profound, humility.

Our society tends to measure success based on things like numbers and the idea that "bigger is better". If one were measuring success by our culture's thinking, then The River and Mosaic have been failures. Real success in the kingdom of God is measured by how much we love others, especially those we don't agree with, kindness shown to everyone, compassion, contentedness wherever God has placed us, and humility. The River and Mosaic are a success based on God's measurement.

As I listened to Joe and Kathy talk about the days ahead following his last and final radiation treatment, I was humbled by the confidence they displayed in God who has always been faithful to them. Joe shared how he is busy these days doing paperwork and dealing with insurance and mortgage companies, and making plans to relocate to South Florida this summer to be near family. Joe has no idea how many days he has left on this earth to enjoy his wife Kathy and his beautiful daughter, Isabella. But, he is certainly grateful for every day he's been given. I am grateful to call him my friend and for the lesson in humility that he has been teaching me by the life that he is living.

No comments: