Monday, March 23, 2009

Confidence


Have you ever tried out for something and didn't make it? I recently asked those who attend Mosaic Church this question and the response was what I expected. Everyone had a story of not making it, coming up short, or not-good-enough. Most of us have experienced it in life, being on the "B" team, the J.V., the practice team, not making the cut. Most of us know what it feels like to check the list to see if you made it, only to find your name missing. It's painful. Your confidence level takes a nose-dive. You doubt yourself whether you could ever be good enough.

When it comes to living out my life with Christ, sometimes my confidence level takes a nose-dive. Paul says to "clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience" (Colossians 3:12). Boy, I blew some of those this week. So, if I'm not careful, my confidence that Christ can live out these qualities through me, can leave me. But, I was reminded by a fellow pastor that God has confidence in me. He believes in me. He has faith in me. I have been "chosen". I am his disciple and I he chose me. That gives me confidence. I'm reminded of this every time I think of those original 12 disciples. They were all "not-good-enoughs". They were "unschooled" and "uneducated". But Christ had confidence in them. He believed in them. He had faith in them and he chose them. A group of "anybody's". He chose them to be his disciples and they changed the course of history.

What if we really believe that we can live like he lived? We've all heard it said that we must have faith in God, and correctly so. It all starts there. But, maybe what we've failed to realize is that He has faith in us.

Duane

1 comment:

saketh said...

yes you are right we forgot..