Sunday, November 30, 2008

Power


Travel, it's what many of us do, or did, over the holidays. I traveled to Florida on Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, but it was not for the holiday, or to eat leftover turkey with my mom. No, I went there to attend the funeral of my uncle James. Fortunately I was able to travel by airplane than make the 13 hour drive. While sitting there strapped into my seat on the Boeing jet paused on the runway for takeoff, I waited in anticipation for the pilot to push the throttle full thrust sending us down the runway. Having flown a few times, there's a sense of fear right at the time the plane begins to move forward. A fear of "what if?". But also there is this amazing display of power. As the plane lurches forward and your body is thrown back into your seat, you hear the roar of the powerful jet engines. I flew out of Richmond International and had a connecting flight in Atlanta, so there were four take-offs and landings on my trip. Each time I was impressed by the power it took to propel a gigantic plane filled with passengers down a runway and then into the sky. Incredible power. But, nothing compared to the power of God. As we study Mark's gospel at Mosaic Church here in Culpeper on Saturday nights, Mark continually puts the power of Jesus on display. Recently we examined the incident where Jesus cast demons called Legion out of a man living in a cemetery in Mark 5. Jesus has all authority and all power to command even the unseen demonic world. He has the power to change a man's life. One moment he's a crazed maniac, the next he's in his right mind. Changed. God has the power, real power to change our lives, the power do do anything. His power is on display all around us. We usually overlook it, but it's there. Where do you need to see God's power displayed? He can do the impossible. He can change lives. He can calm the storm. He is all-powerful and can make the impossible possible.

No comments: